Liverpool’s COP26 March
Saturday 6th November
- Assemble at Sefton Park obelisk noon
- March moves at 12.30
- Liverpool cathedral joining point approx 1pm
- Bombed out church approx 1.30pm
- Derby Square 2pm rally
There is a lot of emphasis on it being family-friendly, positive, with creative ideas to make various points about protecting the environment. Music, dance, art, T-shirts, banners. There will be stewards and first-aiders.
Meet at Sefton Park at midday for a 12.30pm ride start.
MCC member Derek Gould will be taking those that can join him on a fantastic route of Liverpool. You will leave the main march at Sefton Park, take in parts of Liverpool then rejoin the march at St. Lukes (the Bombed Out Church) at approximately 1.30pm. Here, cyclists can walk in unison with the rest of the campaigners to Derby Square where speeches will take place.
Here is the route:
- Out of Sefton Park past the Obelisk towards Sefton Park Road.
- Cross the park perimeter road carefully!
- Use the mandatory cycle lane to go through the Park Gates ahead but turn half left at the traffic lights towards Princes Park.
- At 100 yards lies a quiet T junction – turn left here, where Princes Park gates now lie ahead.
- Go through these gates and immediately go right to cross a main pathway, then go left to travel clockwise around the lake (the lake is on your right) for 200 yards.
- Take the wider walkway ahead that runs straight across, through the Park’s fields to a driveway and up to some gates on right and left. Go through the gates on the right and go up to the main road (Devonshire Rd).
- Cross this road around the bollards and into Admiral Street which lies ahead. Ride for about 1 mile along Admiral street taking great care when crossing a wide road half-way along. The huge cathedral is unmistakably straight ahead of you.
- At the end of Admiral Street there is a Toucan Crossing across Parliament Street. Press the button and cross when this is green for bikes. Go onto the pavement opposite and turn left down the hill on the walkway; if you are uncomfortable with this, dismount and push your bike.
- Ride into the Cathedral’s rear driveway on your right and go ahead to cross the car park with the Cathedral on your right. There is an event happening nearby.
- When we are to move off, leave the car park by the gates (note there is a barrier here) at the opposite side of the car park to where you entered.
- Ahead is a curved, short roadway that takes you up to some traffic lights. When these are green, go straight ahead into Rodney Street. Go carefully along Rodney Street to the next set of lights where, when green, we turn left.
- Go 200 yards down the hill to the next traffic lights where we dismount and go onto the pavement; this is the famous burnt-out-church, St.Lukes.
Twitter and Facebook @lcrCOP26